Monday, June 16, 2014

My College Degree


I'm afraid that it won't be worth it. That everything is about to change, that the way people think and measure success and intelligence is going to change. And I support this fully. It's necessary and long overdue. But then, where do I stand? It's too late, I've already bought into this system. Yet I feel like it means less than it did or should. My university is seen now more for it's cost than for the degree that I will receive. So is it better to be smart enough to get in or dumb enough to pay $60,000 a year? Or does it meet in the middle somewhere between having no degree at all... 

Why do I feel like a sell-out to my generation for going to college. For buying into the scam. We know we're getting swindled everybody knows but everybody keeps doing it. They fuss and moan then grit their teeth and write the checks. I have a summer job, a blue collar, no degree necessary job that the degree I'm going to college to get is supposed to keep me from permanently having. But there has to be people out there, people smarter than me, who are smart enough to know better than to go to college but dumb enough to not know what to do instead. 

And that's the impasse everyone seems to be at. What do you do instead. We all wanna leave, wanna branch out, but go where and do what with who's money? Yes there are the 1 in a million successes that become millionaires without college degrees because they were either too smart or too poor for it, but then there are the other 999,999 occupying homeless shelters. I don't like those odds. 

An in between is going to form and I'm going to be on the other side of it. Close enough to be pissed I missed the cut off, but far enough to envy it. A middle will exist sometime soon where a college degree won't be necessary to be employed and have a good job. And I'm gonna be close, so very close, but I'm just gonna miss it. And because of that I'll have no choice but to undervalue these up and coming mavericks in order to get my money's worth out of the degree it's going to cost a small fortune for me to get. 

The worst is when you see it coming. Because you don't want to stop it but it's not coming fast enough for you to join in. 

And that kinda sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment