Saturday, June 28, 2014

Compromises

Not going to art school is either going to be the best or worst decision of my life.

Junior year, after a series of terrible meets, when it seemed that track had run its course (no pun intended), art school was seriously considered. Pratt was seriously considered.

I like art school people, they're so passionately talented. They unapologetically believe in themselves.

Art is really the only thing I'm naturally good at. I never had to be taught. I didn't have to study for hours and hours or go to extra practices for it.

Senior year I kind of gave up on art. I mean I still got an A+ in my AP Studio Art class but I didn't try or put in as much effort as I could have or as I did last year. I just knew there was no point, art school wasn't in the cards anymore.

Isn't in the cards anymore.

It would've been fun to live in Brooklyn and go to Pratt and be a New Yorker and dye my hair purple and be a full time college student and not have 7am practice everyday or be sore or tired all the time and be surrounded by creative like minded people.

But it also probably wouldn't be too fun if I couldn't get a job and pay off all the student loans I would have to acquire to pay for art school.

Neither my pride nor my anxiety have the stamina for me to be unsuccessful.

So I guess there's a give and take to all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment