Monday, May 5, 2014

So Beyonce....

So Beyoncé....

Recently she was named the most influenntial person in the world by Time magazine. I know scores of people have already voiced their opinion on this and I have nothing against Mrs.Carter, I mean she certainly is influential. She dropped an albumn at 4am on a weekday via Instagram and it was a worldwide hit. Honestly more power to her, who am I to criticize the advancement of a fellow black women?
What I really want to discuss is more what she was wearing on that Time cover. She's in a white two piece with a see through coverup. Now I don't know how many of you have seen her new visual album Beyonce yet but some of the outfits, if a thong and bra can be called such, are a tad risqué.

Maybe it's just me but do you ever think of how awkward it's going to be when Blue is old enough to see the stuff her mom does? In one of the videos Beyonce is litteraly on a stripper pole dancing around for Jay-Z half naked.

And this is the most influential person in the world.

I actually think Time might be on to something. Look at today's pop culture, everybody's half naked.
Sure there's the occasional Janelle Monae and Adele but they're rare.
Are you still being objectified if you choose it? Is Beyonce any less influential with her clothes on?
Hmmm...

And I have nothing against Beyonce, on the contrary I actually really respect her career and persona don't get me wrong, but she put herself out there for discussion so why not discuss it.

So we have today's mainstream media vs. this:
Who is being more objectified? Who has more equality?

A). The burqa clad women who must be judged not by her physical appearance but by crazy things like her actions, words, and intellect
Or
B). Today's pop stars. Are they naked because they have to be in order to be popular or are they popular *because* they're naked?

What came first the chicken or the egg?

I don't have the answers to any of these questions, I'm just putting it out there.

If Jay-Z had been on that Time cover would he have been in a Speedo or some other outfit equally as exposing as his wife's? Of course not, he'd have been in some trendy yet dignified suit. But why then was Beyonce not given this same courtesy....

I know the Middle East is not the forefront for women's rights by any stretch of the imagination but I think that us "Westerners" sometimes misjudge certain things such as the burqa. I'll admit I was one of those people who judged it, it just seems so suffocating and demeaning to be stripped of your own appearance, but honeslty are we any better? If a women in our mainstream media culture has to have a face full of makeup, a head full of weave, and some skin showing to be popular, influential even, what does that say about us as a culture? How much respect are they really getting? And if they're willing to do all this, how much respect do they really deserve...

I'm just sayin'.
  - xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment