Sunday, May 4, 2014

I Want to Write But I Don't Know What to Write

I don't know what I want to write. But I want to write.
I'm feeling trapped lately. Trapped by mundane routine and obligations. Is this what "growing up" is? Living more like you're waiting to punch out of a clock than make the most of every second of this journey we're so blessed to be given? The same thing everyday.  It's suffocatingly dull. 
The outside world has been anything but dull lately. The tragic kidnapping of those Nigerian girls, Donald Sterling, Cliven Bundy; who would long have been in a jail cell by now, if not worse, but alas generations ago ancestors he doesn't even know he has migrated to a colder climate resluting in less melanin in their skin and his by proxy. He was thus enabled with rights that, even though the Supreme Court might think otherwise, still exist. The Supreme Court is having a tough time right now, what with Antonin Scalia going around misquoting himself and what not.
Donald Sterling was just bizarre. Despite having a half black girlfriend, a black coach on his team, two and a half black players, and black fans keeping him very rich, he doesn't like black people? But don't worry, according to the most powerful court in the land, racism is dead. Now after the deserved fine and lifetime NBA ban we have to see how the selling of the Clippers is going to unfold. Some type of discussion over freedom of speech and how he said it in private and he's allowed to have whatever thoughts he wants bla bla bla bla is going to unfold, and that's all true. He has freedom of speech, as all Americans do, against the  government. He can dislike Obama because he's black, with small tasks on his plate like leading the nation I'm sure the President has more pressing matters that need his brain space more than dealing with idiots like Sterling anyway. The NBA however is a brand and a business, if it makes him look bad it makes them look really bad. Private conversation or not it got out and Sterling can do all the legal jiu jitsu he wants in court but he should just take the L and move on at this point.
The story of the kidnapped Nigerian girls is pure tragedy. I know social media is the axis of evil and so terrible and my generation won't be able to communicate or whatever but this got all of it's attention through social media. I heard about the #BringBackOurGirls campaign on Twitter and Instagram, not the news. In fact I didn't see it on the news until almost a month later. The girls were kidnapped on April 14, and it took soooo long  for it to gain a lot of attention. Is it still news if it's not reported? Kind of like one of those "if a tree falls in the forest.." questions... Despite how long it took, I'lm glad so many people have rallied behind these girls and I hope they make a safe return home. This really struck a cord with me, I'm the same age as them, I could easily have had the same fate if not for the chance of my geography. They were in school when 276 of the girls were kidnapped by an armed Islamist terroist group named Boko Haram which translates to "Western education is a sin". The group especially opposes women being educated and it is beleived the girls were sold as wives to members of the terroist groups. At least 53 of the girls have escaped so far and, with mounting pressure on the Nigerian government, hopfully these girls will be found soon and brought home.
It's a crazy world we live in.
My lovely dog chewed my laptop charger to pieces, rendering my dead MacBook useless, and I've been plesently surprised how well I've managed as it's been almost a month since I last used it. I have a newly found benevolent detachment to my electronics that I didn't know I was capable of. It's kinda nice.
  - xoxo

Some voices that need to be heard: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BJsvklXhYaE

No comments:

Post a Comment