Monday, September 16, 2013

The New Miss America

Nina Davuluri (previously Miss New York) was crowned Miss America last night in Atlantic City

Good for her! I know there's been a lot of backlash over Nina being the first Miss America of Indian decent to win, but I truly think she represents America and did a great job. She embraced her culture during the talent part of the competition (as shown above) and plans on using the $50,000 scholarship she received for winning to follow her dream of becoming a doctor. I don't know why people continue to forget that this is a nation of immigrants, unless you're 100% Native American, someone at some point in your family's lineage came here from somewhere else.
 
I found the racist and ignorant comments aimed at her truly disturbing and disgusting. There were so many tweets going on and on; "I swear I'm not a racist but this is America, she shouldn't have won", "Miss America? You mean Miss 7-11", " The liberal Miss America judges won't say this - but Miss Kansas lost because she actually represented American values. #missamerica" "9/11 was 4 days ago and she gets miss America".

It's 2013, not every American has blonde hair and blue eyes (this isn't Sweden!), and I think that's a good thing. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment